Maritime Discussion: going to south tyneside college,UK
  Active Topics  Memberlist  Calendar  Search  Register  Login  
Study Abroad
 Maritime Discussion :Training, Courses, Examination and Certification :Study Abroad
Topic: going to south tyneside college,UK Post Reply Post New Topic
sanjay kumar panwar

Quote sanjay kumar panwar Replybullet Topic: going to south tyneside college,UK
    Posted: 10 Aug 2006 at 2:19am
hi friends, this is just to warn you if you are planning to go to south tyneside college for your next competency exams.
you gonna cry!!!!Cry
fee is sky high. and level of teaching has gone down drastically. they dont care you fail or pass. good instructors are leaving college one by one.
so you have to look for other options.Confused

IP IP Logged
B.N.SUDHARSAN

Quote B.N.SUDHARSAN Replybullet Posted: 21 Aug 2006 at 5:00am
thanks for the warning message. it is very nice of you.
IP IP Logged
Ganesh Thyagarajan

Quote Ganesh Thyagarajan Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2006 at 6:05am

Which institute / college in the UK is a worthwhile option for clearing the COC for 2nd Engr's and Chief Engr's exams ?

Can anyone tell me the procedure to be followed for the same?

I have cleared my MEO Class IV from India in 1997, and would like to take my COC exams for Chief's and Second Engr exams from either UK or Singapore.Also, I would like to know if there is a combined examination for both of the above mentioned COCs. Kindly guide me plz. Confused

IP IP Logged
a a
Jobships Member
Jobships Member

Quote a a Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2006 at 11:51pm
What is future for marine engineers?
IP IP Logged
asit acharya
Jobships Member
Jobships Member

Quote asit acharya Replybullet Posted: 25 Oct 2006 at 8:35am
south shields has a record of racism speciall y who have dark complexion specially guys from andhra, tamil nadu , kerela, karantaka etc if u have a fair skin and dont look like a typical indian guy u won't have any problem else ull have it. Every week there are cases of racial abuse physically and verbally they treat u like some sought of crap u cant walk alone in the street during dark ( specially south indian guys ) .
presently im in studying in southshields i have afair complexion as im from dehradun so i didn't have any problems of racism . what my suggestion to u is if u r black ( specially south indian guys) don't come to s.shields else ull go home with a black eye and broken bones & your C.O.C.
cheers
IP IP Logged
palaniappan babu
Jobships Member
Jobships Member

Quote palaniappan babu Replybullet Posted: 30 Oct 2006 at 7:42pm
Wheather is it easy for me to do the Functional course there (u.k.)....? If so which college...?Please tell me.I m a Deck cadet..

Edited by Administrator - 30 Oct 2006 at 7:43pm
IP IP Logged
Sunil Parashar
Jobships Member
Jobships Member

Quote Sunil Parashar Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2006 at 10:53am
I spent a year in Shields, and never did any rasicst issue come up. What little bit I heard i would say was much less then what we ourself get in India , Malu, tambi, Bihari, etc - need i say anymore!!!! but then their are always exceptions!!!!!!!
The fact about fees and quality of eduction is true, but then what is also true is the vast resources available (like the library, the internet) for students who are interested in using it. 
I have found the department head over there  are interested in your progress, as long as you are interested in what they have to give you. If all you are interested in is that the lecturers do all the hard work and you don't bother to attend classes or show any interest in the assignments given, then it would be unfair to blame the lecturers.
Yes the number of quality lecturers is few, but those that are their are really good.  
I would say Go their if you are looking for a different life style, a different education system, but also be ready to work with the system. And also remember your objective there is too study , get your license and have a good time while doing that.
IP IP Logged
Sunil Parashar
Jobships Member
Jobships Member

Quote Sunil Parashar Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2006 at 11:06am

Dear Babu,

There is nothing easy about doing your functions in UK, and with the amount of money you would have saved as a cadet, i think it would be pretty difficult for you to easily afford it(unless you have the comapny or somebody else sponsoring you or you taking a loan) .....no offence meant. Also you will have to study equally hard in UK too.

A good option would be to do it in India. I know the things are difficult in the indian system, but then people do pass over here too. I did mine at NIPM. I wouldn't know how are the lecturers over there now, but during my time we did have a few good ones. and as long as the the principal surveyor over at chennai MMD is Capt. Kapoor, you needn't worry about being treated unfairly during your exams or orals.   

If you are keenly interested studying abroad for your secondmates and you can afford it, AMC- Tasmania would be a good choice. the studies are really good and practical, from what i have heard. But then its not a cakewalk, you will have to work hard over their too.

All the best
S. Parashar 
IP IP Logged
Saurabh Dhingra
Jobships Member
Jobships Member

Quote Saurabh   Dhingra Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2006 at 7:46am

lets get some more positive info guys,dont get discouraged as things are not that bad.

Edited by Administrator - 03 Dec 2006 at 8:30am
IP IP Logged
guruprasad shetty
Jobships Member
Jobships Member

Quote guruprasad shetty Replybullet Posted: 25 Dec 2006 at 2:48am
Just curious, all you guys posting here, how much would it cost to get class 2 COC in UKnow? what is the scene with part time jobs? i just heard it costs 8 lakh +.. if we work part time, could we bring the expenses down by a few lakhs???
IP IP Logged
asit acharya
Jobships Member
Jobships Member

Quote asit acharya Replybullet Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 11:15am
hi guys,
if u wanna get a taste of pre independance india i.e under brtiish rule
you are most welcome to southshields , paki is the word for u.

take care
cheersOuchOuchOuchOuchCryCry
IP IP Logged
asit acharya
Jobships Member
Jobships Member

Quote asit acharya Replybullet Posted: 15 Mar 2007 at 8:06am
hi guys,
iDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDead
DeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDead
DeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDead
DeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDead
DeadDead

IP IP Logged
CHIRAG THAKRAR
Jobships Member
Jobships Member

Quote CHIRAG THAKRAR Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2007 at 11:38am
it seems its useless to tell indians not to come to uk for study because indians are like sheeps and goats , all simply follow the others evenif they are warned not to go. seaman#s attitude.
IP IP Logged
CHIRAG THAKRAR
Jobships Member
Jobships Member

Quote CHIRAG THAKRAR Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2007 at 11:40am
study abroad is something like earn in india and spend in GBP. ITS like earning to spend in UK. Again slavery of GORA. But this will go on unless MMD changes the rules for their own indian. which will never happen in any 100 years future, So get slavery of GORA
IP IP Logged
Subhash Yadav
Jobships Member
Jobships Member
Quote Subhash Yadav Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2007 at 8:28pm
hi asit acharya

I don’t agree with you. I stayed in south shields for one and half year(sep 2004 to June 2006) and never had such kind of colour problem. Even many black colour fellows were also there and they don’t have this colour problem.

About college I agree fees are going up. They are increasing fee in every September month, but once you pay new rules will not apply on you.

Many my friends went to South Shields for their exams and with coc they took back around 2000 pounds average with them after paying all their expenses in UK

IP IP Logged
rajnish kumar
Jobships Member
Jobships Member

Quote rajnish kumar Replybullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 12:03am
hi,
I was in Uk for a year to clear my class 2 coc,i fell that the quality  and standard of education are very high compared to any other country.also there is no racism there.guys if u like to clear  a COC which is recognised all over the world,pls go to UK .In short ,standard in Uk are very high compared to any othr country.Indian coc's are valid only bcoz many of the shipping companies r managed by Indians.
IP IP Logged
Pranjal Gupta
Jobships Member
Jobships Member

Quote Pranjal Gupta Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2007 at 2:20am
Hello Asit,

First of all I have done my exams in UK so this is not new to me. Regarding the resist issue that you have brought up, let me remind you that one can not clap with one hand, a dog also doesn’t bite if not provoked. Come to think of it, who do you think is responsible for this kind of a behavior from them??? Would you like if a foreigner comes to India and starts breaking laws and treat us like we are a useless bunch of people. When you go abroad, you are your countries ambassador and it is your duty to behave like a guest and treat them well. If you treat them well I don't see any reason why anybody would not treat you back the same way. So please don't blame someone else for your own mistakes. I was there for about a year and I had a great time there with a lot of my friends being Britishers. I agree that there are a few incidents here and there but if you handle the situation well and with your behavior prove to them that we Indians are not like Paki's and we are the best, I bet in coming years we would be treated with respect. It's not India that they hate it is the Indians that they hate and it is us who is responsible for it and no one else and it is us who can make a difference.

So next time when you go to
UK behave like an Indian as in the Indian culture and you will see the difference.

Have fun and enjoy
Keep adding to the comments
IP IP Logged
ashish joshi
Jobships Member
Jobships Member

Quote ashish joshi Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2008 at 8:52am
if u think that southshield college is little more costly and there is a racism factor pls come to gcns in glasgow.here fee is comparatively less.class 1 eks course is for £825  while in southshield it is £1200 .but if u think that uk exam is simpler than india then forget it.here too everything is  very difficult.specially in eks u have to pass motor and general at a time  (one function) with 3 sections in general with electrical in part B and NA in part C which was not compulsory in 2003.u must get 8 marks in part B and part C resp.for that u must attempt 2 questions from each part out of 3 questions.
in india they have removed this function system but in uk it still exists .even for academics too u have to study hard as u don't get part A exemption in Uk.
in glasgow u can work part time and easily get a job as it is big city of scotland.but do not concentrate on jobs as i have met many students who are doing class 2 exam since 2-3 years and all of them r BE or DMET engineers.
in oral dept too there r lot of indian surveyors entering so no differnce in india oral and uk oral.
right now i am in uk,glasgow doing my class 1.actually waiting for result.

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version