Maritime Discussion: Eurasia - Non Payment of Wages etc.
  Active Topics  Memberlist  Calendar  Search  Register  Login  
Seafarers Views
 Maritime Discussion :Soundings :Seafarers Views
Topic: Eurasia - Non Payment of Wages etc. Post Reply Post New Topic
SHISHIR DUTT
Jobships Member
Jobships Member

Quote SHISHIR DUTT Replybullet Topic: Eurasia - Non Payment of Wages etc.
    Posted: 06 May 2008 at 11:50am
EURASIA (ALSO CALLED BERHARD SCHULTE SHIP MANAGEMENT , PARAMOUNT ETC.)
I have recently signed off from onboard MV ABG Narayana which is an Indian flag  bulk carrier owned by ABG shipping , India and manned and technically managed by Eurasia group (Bernhard Schulte Group) . The ship was supposed to be handed over (both manning and management) to the owners for management upon arrival at Western India Shipyard , Mormugoa ,Goa in the first week of april . Instead of clearing their stands over the issue as to when each of the two Giants the ABG's and the Eurasia group about takeover-handover , they are still keeping silent  almost a month after the ship called Goa . V/l is currently at repair berth at WISL , Goa and awaiting dry-docking . The repair works are so slow and quality so pathetic that it is expected that vessel will remain for almost 4 more months in either dry-dock or at repair berth before it can finally sail out . Meanwhile the employers of the crew , the Eurasia group , cancelled the bank allotment of the crew who had made it , stopped giving wages and cash advances onboard , stopped signing off long overdue crew . They did sign off some of the crew members who had some contacts with NUSI or who were medically unfit , but that too without paying them a single penny . They were signed off from the vessel saying that their final wages will be settled at Mumbai office . When they visited the office they were told to leave bank account no.s for the cheques to be sent later on . They have still not recd. a single penny of their money . Not only this , but the company did not make any replacements to the crew members already signed off (total 6 crew members signed off with only one replacement for Ch. cook) . Chief cook was only signed off when he stopped cooking any food onboard by posing as being medically unfit .Before arriving India the Employers Eurasia cancelled the bank allotments of all the crew members for the month of feb.claiming the cancelleation to be agents fault , but later on the due for feb. were paid inboard in cash . Though wages of some of the crew members were settled onboard in cash on 24/04/08 in USD before ship arrived India (called Paradip on 28/03/ 08) , but for those who had made allotment there was no payment done and no replies made by the office for non-payment of the same . Not only wages and cash advances , company stopped providing any fresh provisions , fresh linen , towels , soaps and detergents etc. , no steward services were available for several days and cabins, toilets , galley , provision spaces , messrooms were in filthy condition .
Several times Master was asked verbally about the allotments and wages , he kept on saying that office is not responding and that he had no INR onboard and no CTM is arranged by the company . Finally we started asking such queries in writing through the Master but again to no effect . All the hue and cry could not turn company's deaf ears .after getting frustrated because continuous silence of the office  , MUI was contacted but as usual they kept on pretending to do "something" while kept on doing nothing about the situation . Finally P.O. MMD mumbai was contacted and he appraised of the prevailing situation onboard . He reacted positively and almost instantaneously to conduct an Flag State Inspection for the Vessel and for flying in from Mumbai a Surveyor and the Shipping Master to resolve the situation .The effect of the survey and enquiry was almost instantaneous , one GS joined the vessel the same day , fresh provision was recd. the very next day , people who were due for sign off were promised for sign off  and company promised to supply Cash To Master(CTM) . Finally company sent the cheques for the due amounts into the Bank accounts of the persons who did not receive it since for the month of March . I finally recd. my money in my Bank account on 30th April , rest of the crew members recd, cheques either at their home addresses or at their bank . I got signed off finally on 04/05/08 after getting the balance of wages in cash which was received by the Master . However till the date I signed off , except for the off-signers none of the crew were paid their wages or cash advances . Some of the crew members have not recd. any money since mid february when they signed on the vessel !! and are still expecting to get some cash onboard . The crew members can't even use their shore leaves as they have no money onboard till they are paid something by the Master .
              ABG shipping is changing it's name to PFS shipping and claim to be taking over the vessel . It is projected that the ship's name will be changed over from ABG NARAYANA to   "PFS MARCH"  and that the ship will change it's flag from "INDIAN" to "PANAMIAN" flag . During the whole episode as described above at no time was such a big company like Eurasia was ready to respond to onboard problems or release the overdue wages . It was only when the shipping Master enforced legally upon the company that they were left with no choice but release the money , provide fresh provisions , and provide sufficient competent crew to replace the ones already signed off or for those who were signing off . It is such a shame on such big organisations who seem to be reputed but actually are very cheap and mean . They not only stopped at this but went all the way to find faults with me , pulicise me with all the shipping companies so that I don't get another job easily , to take revenge against me for the complaints I made to the authorities . Fortunately enough due to timely action of the authorities we got what was needed , though some of the most of the crew members are still awaiting their due wages of April and some their long overdue sign off also . I was lucky to get timely sign off . God bless the rest !! and God also bless those officers and crew who are still willing to join Eurasia group !!!

Best Regards
Shishir Dutt
2nd Engineer
Ex-ABG Narayana
Ex-Eurasia Group (Bernhard Schulte Group)
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version